Thursday, September 10, 2009

Durango day 3 – Andrews Lake

After the last two days of fun, I decided that it was time for a recovery ride. I took the opportunity to get some easy elevation work in by driving up a mountain rather than riding. A buddy in town recommended that I head up to Andrews Lake and take an easy noodle around up there. At approx 10,800ft , it was a similar elevation to the highest point in the upcoming Double Boundary race.

Andrews Lake 008

 

Andrews Lake is a picturesque spot, popular for fly fishing, & turned out to be the perfect place for an easy ride. Essentially flat, with a short looping trail around the lot, it was just what the doctor ordered (Coach in this instance).

 

 

Not one to break a trend, I had to do some parking lot work again. As far as parking lots go, this was by far the most scenic one I’ve ridden around :-)

Andrews Lake 003

I’m sure the folks up at the lake were wandering what the heck a mountain biker was doing riding around the parking lot at the top of a mountain - in the rain. That’s right, beautiful sunny weather on the drive to the lake. As soon as I’m geared up, in rolls a friendly little black cloud & down comes the rain. Sigh. The Saturday forecast for Taos shows a good chance of rain, so I’m expecting to get wet at some point in the race. This was just another opportunity to simulate race conditions (at least the elevation & precipitation – certainly not the trail conditions, unless there’s a parking lot up there ;)

  Andrews Lake 001

As soon as I started, I could tell my legs were feeling a little flat. Hopefully I didn’t overdo it the prior two days and they’ll feel fresh after a couple of days rest. After an hour of spinning & keeping the power output low, I rolled back to the car, loaded up the bike & headed down the mountain. At least the rain had stopped by this time.

So no major riding today, but I was out on the bike in a beautiful spot. Ain’t life grand!

Andrews Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment