Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Homemade Energy Bars

My expertise in the kitchen is somewhat limited, to put it mildly. Boiling pasta or firing up the rice cooker is about as close to cooking as I get. When Coach pointed me to this incredibly easy recipe for energy bars, I “ate it up”. It’s a super healthy, easy to prepare snack that I keep on hand for the inevitable munchies.

Take a look at this video & you’ll see how easy it is to prepare.

The original recipe is as follows:
- 3 cups of uncooked Oatmeal (Quaker Oats)
- 1 cup of dried mixed fruit, chocolate chips, fruit bits, or favorite ingredient
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar or molasses
- 1 cup Honey
- 8 ounces of non fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of apple sauce
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of skim milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread out in a lightly greased baking pan and bake @ 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28-30 minutes.

I’ve experimented a few times and made the following changes:
- Exchange the Quaker Oats for an organic multigrain blend of rolled oats. I use a 4 grain mix from Whole Foods
- Add an additional 1 cup total of raw organic pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds & kamut
- Add an additional 1/2 cup of spelt flour
- Omit the brown sugar/molasses – waay too sweet for my taste
- Use Agave Nectar instead of Honey
- Use Belgian yoghurt instead of the regular Vanilla yoghurt – I just love the tart taste
- Double the quantity of apple sauce

I’m making bars just for me, so I’ll use half the quantity of ingredients. It’s sooo easy to prepare and great to have on hand.

Now I’m starting to salivate. Time to go munch on an energy bar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment